Be a Survivor – Colorectal Cancer Treatment Guide is a valuable resource to help you and your loved ones understand the colorectal cancer experience, and empower you to become an active participant in your treatment and recovery.
[table id=1 /]
[table id=9 /]
Be a Survivor – Colorectal Cancer Treatment Guide book was written by Vladimir Lange, MD, whose wife, also a physician, was diagnosed with breast cancer years ago. Both were overwhelmed by the complexity of the information they had to process, so Dr. Lange wrote the Be a Survivor – Your Guide to Cancer Treatment Series to make the journey easier for others.
• The Avera Cancer Institute is a leading provider of innovative colorectal cancer treatment, and widely recognized and respected not only in the region, but nation-wide. The Avera multidisciplinary team of experts who appear on this website, ensures that the information is balanced and objective, and reflects the outstanding care available here.
• Dozens of patients and their partners—the women and men who have “been there”—have contributed their candid comments to help you understand your own feelings and frustrations at this difficult time. Their voices add an invaluable dimension to the learning and empowering message you are about to experience.
THIS WEBSITE WILL HELP YOU
• Assemble the best team of experts
• Learn how to communicate with your doctors
• Improve your chances of successful treatment
• Make informed decisions that are good for you
• Cope with the side effects of therapy that you might experience
• Learn about new treatments
• Consider appropriate complementary therapies
• Communicate effectively with your spouse
• Prevent the cancer from coming back
How To Use This Website
The site is organized in the sequence that mirrors your path through treatment and recovery.
First, we’ve provided a few suggestions on how to cope with your diagnosis—coming to grips with your feelings so you can think and evaluate the facts. There are tips on what to tell your family, friends, and co-workers about your diagnosis, and how to assemble a network of support to help you get through the tough times.
Next is an overview of colorectal cancer treatment. If you only read one section, make sure it’s this one. It will help you understand how the different aspects of your treatment fit together, so you can see your options more clearly.
The majority of the site consists of a detailed description of the various procedures and treatments you may encounter, from diagnosis, to surgery, to systemic therapies, and complementary treatments. There is an important chapter devoted to your partner—your spouse, or special man or woman in your life.
We wish you a speedy recovery.
If you have further questions or would like more information, please contact the Digestive Disease Institute team at 605-322-7797